The game of capoeira has multiple proven health, mental and social benefits on children.
- A stronger immune system - the body’s ability to fight disease is improved.
- Children are less prone to colds, allergies and diseases including cancer.
- A reduction of type 2 diabetes caused by increased insulin sensitivity and improved carbohydrate metabolism.
- Strengthens the entire cardiovascular system, including the heart and lungs, supporting the prevention of heart disease.
- Children are less likely to become overweight.
- Children develop stronger bone structure and muscle structure.
- More energy, even after a long school day.
- Better brain function.
- Capoeira even helps in improving handwriting through dexterity related exercises and mathematical skills through its music.
- Increased powers of concentration.
- Quality of sleep is improved.
- Body is better equipped to avoid injuries.
- Capoeira teaches discipline, leadership skills.
- Children learn a new language and are introduced to a whole new culture.
- Capoeira decreases anxiety, reduces depression, improves mood and outlook in children.
- Children learn planning and strategy by performing in the roda.
- Capoeira helps children deal with social issues and teaches respect for friends and opponents.
Perhaps most importantly, this physical activity develops children’s self-esteem and confidence. Their ability to overcome difficult situations improves and they simply enjoy a better, sunnier outlook on life and develop a resilient character.